Sunday, November 20, 2011

Blog Post #13

My Teacher is an App by Stephanie Bancher

For this blog post I chose option 2 and I’m glad I did. This was a very interesting post. I didn’t realize how many students were taking classes full-time online. It stated that an estimated 250,000 students were teaching themselves through virtual schools. It amazes me that in Georgia students can use a new app to take courses on there iphone or blackberry.


My like for technology has drastically increased while taking edm310. Even though I know that you can teach yourself a lot from the internet, I still think students should use it in a classroom setting. I don’t think students should use the internet to teach themselves entirely on their own. Can you count on students grade K-12 to get on the computer and do their lessons everyday? I think it would make sense that students from virtual schools would make lower on standardized test. When a student is viewing information online they might not know exactly what they need to now specifically. They will remember what stood out to them, where in a classroom you have a teacher telling you what to focus on.



The hybrid school sounds more like something I would agree with. They blend online and face-to-face interaction with a teacher. It is surprising to me the number of states offering virtual schools and the amount of students attending them. I feel very much out of the loop. This is why I enjoy edm310 because I am continuously learning something new.



1 comment:

  1. Whitney,

    First of all, make sure to check the photo at the end of your post. I cannot see it, and there seems to be something wrong with it. Otherwise, you did a great job evaluating the post. I think that virtual schools are excellent, if created properly. I have been home schooled in the past, and I can see how the virtual schools would have helped me get more out of my homeschooling experience.

    Great post,

    Rebekah Lloyd

    ReplyDelete