Friday, November 4, 2011

Blog Post #10

Do You Teach or Do You Educate?

When I get started in my career as an educator, I hope to educate each student in my classroom. I would never want to be the teacher that just lectures and have the students memorize the information I am giving. I want to interpret the information in a way a student can understand and comprehend. I want them to be able to do research on there own and be able to gain something from it as if I were to explain it to them.
When a student leaves my classroom I want them to be able to apply techniques I have taught them to every subject and not just have facts memorized about the subject I teach. I want to be a mentor to all o my students. I want them to know they can come to me anytime they need help. I will teach them skills that can help in the classroom and in life.

Tom Johnson's Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home!



This post made a point in a very interesting way. The conversation between Tom and Gertrude is going back and forth over students taking home pencils. Gertrude is arguing that students should not take home pencils. Her argument is based off of an article she read. In this article it said students who take home pencils have lower grades on standardized test. Tom has been trying to solve this problem, he continues to state that pencil and paper are not the problem. The problem is what the students are doing with the pencil and paper.
This also shows how closed minded some educators can be. Gertrude was not willing to even try to compromise. She continued to reject the idea of pencils being sent home all based off of one article she read. She was overlooking the problem instead of finding a solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment