Sunday, October 2, 2011

Blog Assignment #6

The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler

This video shows a networked student who is getting a lot from using the internet. He is able to find out information on different topics, see other people’s ideas, and post his own ideas for others to see. All of these things he is able to do on a computer at any time. "Why does the networked student even need a teacher?" A student can find a large amount of information on the internet. A teacher has to guide a student so that they can determine what information is credible and realize that blogs are mainly people’s opinions and not cold hard facts. Students learn from a teacher how to use all the information they are given to form their own opinion. A teacher guides a student and shows them how to properly find information and respectfully gain help from experts. A mountain of information is not useful to the student if they do not know how to organize and interpret it properly. I think I am ready for a “networked student.” I know that I can still increase my knowledge of using the internet, so that I can be more beneficial to students in the future.

A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment (or PLN)

This video was very impressive. I was shocked that this was done by a student in the seventh grade. This student knows how to navigate through the internet very well. I looked up the page symbaloo thanks to her and I am creating my own. All her information that she found was very well organized. She used websites that I hadn’t heard of. The note taking program she used seemed like it would be helpful to many students. It keeps track of information and where you got it from. I learned things from this video that I will probably start using.


Symbaloo Image

2 comments:

  1. We are all learners. Even 7th graders can teach us! You write: " I learned things from this video that I will probably start using." I hope you will start using things you have learned from this assignment and others in EDM310.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very nice post! I found Wendy Drexler's video to be incredibly informative. I never even thought of how an mp3 player could be used to find podcasts on lectures from prestigious universities. I agree that it is very important for the teacher to guide the students on how to use the internet properly. What good could the information a student may find on the internet be if it is obtained from an unreliable source? A teacher needs to teach the students the skills to maximize the benefits of the internet. I am also creating a Symbaloo page for my PLN and I think it will come in handy! It will help keep me organized with all of the information I collect and the connections I wish to make. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete